ION Audio Explorer iPA76S - Frequently Asked Questions
When you want to enjoy great times outdoors, the Explorer comes through for you. This rugged, rechargeable speaker streams your favorite music from any Bluetooth device and pumps out great sound through its 8-inch 2-way speaker system powered by a 50-watt dynamic power amplifier. It has a built-in AM/FM radio with 6 AM and 12 FM memory presets so you’ll all enjoy catching the game or that great oldies station, and afterwards, use Explorer’s high-quality microphone to create your own memorable events. Plus, there's wired link output for connecting an additional Explorer (iPA76S) or other powered speaker with an aux input for even bigger sound. With a USB powerbank to recharge your devices and a telescoping handle and built-in wheels, the Explorer is as convenient to use as it is exciting to hear! This article answers your frequently asked questions about the ION Audio Explorer iPA76S.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I tell what model ION speaker I have?
- How do I pair the Explorer iPA76S to my Bluetooth device? How do I pair the Explorer iPA76S to my Bluetooth device?
- My Bluetooth device sees the Explorer but is unable to connect to it. How do I get my device to re-connect?
- Can I link multiple ION Explorers together?an I link multiple ION Explorers together?
- How many Explorers can I link together?
- Does linking my speakers allow me to hear stereo playback?
- I get feedback when I use a microphone. How can I prevent this?
- Can I replace the battery myself?
- What are the battery specifications?
- Does the Explorer iPA76S have a switching power supply?
- What is Easy Pairing? What is NFC (Near-Field Communication)?
- Is my device Easy Pair capable?
- How do I use Easy Pair to connect my NFC capable device?
- I'm having difficulty pairing using Easy Pair. What should I do?
- Is the Explorer iPA76S compatible with the ION Explorer app for iOS and Android?
- Can I plug a USB thumb drive or other MP3 player into the Explorer's USB port?
- Where can I find further technical support for this and other ION products?
The model of ION speaker you have is clearly labeled on the back of the speaker, in the upper left corner.
- Turn on your Bluetooth device.
- Power on Explorer. If you have previously connected to another Bluetooth device, Explorer will reconnect. To disconnect pairing if the Bluetooth icon is lit solid, press and release the Bluetooth button.
- Navigate to your Bluetooth device’s setup screen, find “Explorer” and connect.
Note: If your Bluetooth device prompts for a pairing code, enter “0000”.
- To disconnect pairing while the Bluetooth icon is lit solid, press and release the Bluetooth button.
- To connect to another Bluetooth device, repeat step 3.
Note: Maximum range will be achieved when using devices with Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.
My Bluetooth device sees the Explorer but is unable to connect to it. How do I get my device to re-connect?
In your device's Bluetooth settings, select the Explorer and choose "Forget Device". After your device "forgets" the Explorer it should be able to reconnect.
Yes! You can connect two or more Explorers together using a 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo aux cable going from one speaker's LINK output to the AUX input of another. A 2’ cable is included but longer ones should be available to purchase from most electronics retailers.
The Explorer's LINK output is specially designed to provide no loss in audio quality, even if you have several Explorers linked together. We've tested up to 10 together at once but there is no reason you can't connect more!
When multiple Explorers are linked together they will play identical mono signals.
There are a few easy steps you can take that can help reduce the likelihood of feedback. Check out the following article to learn more:
Yes! Check out this handy guide that walks you through replacing the battery in your ION speaker.
The battery in the Explorer iPA76S is a 12V 7AH Lead Acid Battery.
Yes! The power supply on the iPA76C will automatically switch between 120V and 240V, provided the correct IEC cable is plugged into the power jack.
Easy Pair is a form of NFC tap pairing, otherwise known as 'bump pairing'. NFC stands for Near-field Communication and is the power behind the technology used in the ION Audio Explorer iPA76S. More information on what Near-field Communication is can be found here and here.
Basically, NFC allows a device, usually a mobile phone, to collect data from another device or NFC tag at when it is moved into a close range. In many ways, it’s like a contact-less payment card that is integrated into a phone. In other ways, it’s similar to Bluetooth, except that instead of programming two devices to work together, they can simply touch to establish a connection.
Many popular Android smartphones have this feature. To date, there is no iOS device that has this feature. You may need to refer to your device information, manual, or support to determine if your device is NFC-capable, however here are a couple of links that may help to determine if your device has this functionality:
NFC (near-field communication) allows data exchange from devices, such as pairing, by gently bumping them together. Check in your device’s manual to see if this feature is supported.
To use NFC to pair with the Explorer iPA76S:
- In order to use NFC, your device must be turned on and unlocked.
- Enter your device’s Settings menu and check that NFC is turned On (one time step).
- Power on the BlockRocker Bluetooth.
- Gently bump your device against the ‘N’ logo located on BlockRocker Bluetooth’s top panel, and hold it there for a couple of seconds.
- Follow the pairing instructions that appear on your phone. If a passcode is required, enter “0000”.
- First, be sure you have an NFC or Easy Pair compatible device: Is my device Easy Pair capable?
- Next, carefully follow the Easy Pair pairing steps detailed above.
- The NFC chip in your phone or device is quite small. Be sure you know where the chip is located in your device, and make sure you're touching this exact spot to the against the ‘N’ logo located on the BlockRocker. If you don't know exactly where the NFC chip is located inside your phone or device, visit the phone/device manufacturer's website to find out.
- While most users won't need to remove their case, if you've come this far and you're still having difficulty, try removing your phone case (if you have one).
- If you're still having difficulty, please contact ION technical support for further assistance.
Yes! All ION Speakers are compatible with the ION Explorer app. You can download the app for free from the iOS App Store on your iPhone or from the Google Play store on your Android device.
The USB port on the Explorer's front panel is for charging personal devices and will not send audio through the speaker.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a ION product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced ION technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.