ION Audio Pathfinder Charger - Replacing the Battery
The ION Audio Pathfinder Charger's battery can be replaced by removing the panel on the rear of the speaker. If for any reason the battery needs to be replaced, this panel allows customers to replace the battery without the need to bring it to a professional. In this video, we walk through the process of removing the battery from your ION Audio Pathfinder Charger and replacing it with a new battery.
- Getting the Right Replacement Battery for your Pathfinder
- Replacing the Battery in a Pathfinder Charger
- How to Maximize Battery Lifespan
- Further Technical Support
If you recently purchased an ION Pathfinder from Costco, and are experiencing reduced battery life, click the link below to get a free replacement battery:
For a complete demonstration of replacing the battery, see our video walkthrough below:
- IMPORTANT: Disconnect all power cables, audio cables, and accessories. Make sure that the Pathfinder is completely disconnected from any electrical power outlets.
- Remove the back panel by unscrewing the (14) screws. This will require a 2.5mm hex tool.
- With the back panel removed, you'll see the battery seated near the bottom, surrounded by foam for a snug fit.
- To remove the battery, tilt the Pathfinder backward and hold it about 2-inches from the ground with the battery compartment facing-down.
- Gently tap the unit several times on the ground by the wheels and gravity should allow the battery to start to slip out slowly. Once the battery has slipped out enough to grab, you can use your hands to gently pull the battery from the cavity.
- Once the battery has been completely removed from the cavity, slide the metal connector for each wire off of the battery terminals to disconnect it.
IMPORTANT: Note how the terminals on the battery are connected. The red connector must be connected to the red positive terminal. The other connector (blue or black) is connected to the black negative terminal. The replacement battery must be connected the same way. Failure to connect to the correct terminals could result in damage to your product.
- Grab your replacement battery* and attach the wires the same way they were connected to the old battery. Connecting the wires correctly is crucial to the new battery working properly.
- Slide the new battery into the cavity with the terminals at the top and gently push until the back of the battery is flush with the back of the Pathfinder.
- Replace the back panel and re-insert the screws.
- Power on the Pathfinder and enjoy! Be sure to connect the Pathfinder to an outlet to fully charge the new battery as soon as possible, and read through the Battery Life section below for tips on keeping it strong and healthy
* Only use an approved replacement battery which meets the specifications provided by ION Audio. For more specifics or further information, contact ION Audio Technical Support or visit our battery replacement guide at ionaudio.com/batteries.
Rechargeable lead-acid batteries are the same type used in automobiles. As with your car battery, how you use this battery has a significant impact on its lifespan. For example, if you forget to turn off your car's lights and drain the battery, a jump start may work a few times. But after a few full discharges, even a jump won't help, and the battery will need to be replaced. With proper use and treatment, a lead-acid battery can last for years.
Here are some recommendations for getting the longest life from the internal battery:
- Fully charge the battery before using it and after every use
- For maximum life, drain the battery 80% once a month.
- Avoid completely draining the battery.
- Avoid storing in high temperatures and moist places.
- For long-term storage, periodically recharge the battery. If you do not charge the battery for six months, it may not charge again.
- Bring the battery to a recycling center or dispose of in accordance with local ordinances.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an ION Audio product, or if you simply have pre-sales questions, the experienced ION Audio technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.