ION Audio Sport XL - Frequently Asked Questions
The ION Sport XL is a rugged, Bluetooth, water-resistant, rechargeable speaker that keeps you informed in the toughest situations and pumps out great sound through its 8-inch woofer, and 3-inch tweeter speaker system powered by a 100-watt peak power amplifier. This article will answer some popular questions about the features and functionality of the ION Audio Sport XL.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How big is the Sport XL?
- What is Bass Boost?
- Is the Sport XL water-resistant? What does that mean?
- Can I play music through the USB port?
- What are the battery specifications?
- How long should I charge the battery and how long does a full charge last?
- How far does the Bluetooth connection reach?
- I'm using the microphone but can't hear myself over the music. What do I do?
- The sound is coming out distorted while on Bluetooth. What is happening and how can I fix it?
- My Bluetooth device sees the Sport XL, but will not connect to it. How do I get it to pair?
- I get feedback when I use a microphone. How can I prevent this?
- What is NFC and how do I use it?
- Where can I find further technical support for this and other ION products?
The Sport XL is 14.6” x 10.9” x 17.7" (width x depth x height) and weighs 26 lbs.
The Bass Boost button will enhance the overall bass frequency response from your Sport XL when the button is pressed. On the display screen, it will show "BASS BOOST" when it is activated.
The Sport XL is IPX5 grade water-resistant. This means that the Sport XL can resist spraying or splashing water, and even water jets up to a certain amount. While you may not want to dunk it in a pool or lake, the Sport XL could resist a burst of rain or a surprise sprinkler. Be sure to take it in inside if you're expecting any heavy rain or flooding.
The USB port on the Sport XL is only used for charging your phone or device. However, you can play music straight from your phone or another device by using the Aux input, or wirelessly through Bluetooth or NFC.
The battery in the Sport XL is a 12V, 7.0Ah Lead Acid battery. For more information about the battery, or if you're not sure which ION speaker you have, please visit https://www.ionaudio.com/batteries.
The battery takes around 12 hours to fully charge. A fully charged battery will last up to about 75 hours at a reasonably loud indoor listening volume level. Battery life may vary based on battery temperature, age, and the volume and usage of the speaker.
The range of Bluetooth connection of a Sport XL is up to 100 feet - as long as the transmitting audio source is not moving around and there are no obstructions between the audio source and the Sport XL. In order to achieve the best results, the transmitting audio device (i.e. phone or tablet) should not be emitting a signal from a pocket, or be covered in any way. The range can also be affected by the quality of the Bluetooth chipset in the audio source.
The Sport XL's master volume knob controls the speaker's main mix volume, which includes your music AND the microphone. If you're experiencing difficulty hearing the microphone signal over your music, try turning the music down from your source device (e.g. your phone or tablet) and re-adjust the microphone and master volumes accordingly.
If the sound from your Sport XL is coming out distorted, try lowering the volume control of your sound source - such as your iPod or iPhone. Also, try reducing the overall volume of the Sport XL.
If you continue to experience sound issues after following the suggested steps above, you may want to contract ION Tech Support.
In your device’s Bluetooth settings, select the Sport XL and choose “Forget Device”. After your device “forgets” the Sport XL, it should be able to reconnect. Check out this section of our video for a walkthrough on this and other troubleshooting steps.
There are a few easy steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of feedback. Visit the article below for more information:
NFC (near-field communication) allows data exchange from devices, such as pairing, by gently bumping them together. Check the documentation for your mobile device to see if it is NFC-enabled.
To use NFC to pair with Sport XL:
- In order to use NFC, your device must be turned on and unlocked.
- Enter your device’s Settings menu and check that NFC is turned On (one time step).
- Power on Sport XL.
- Touch and briefly hold your device to the NFC logo.
- Follow the pairing instructions that appear on your phone. If a passcode is required, enter “0000”.
- To unpair, gently bump your device against the NFC logo located on Sport XL's top panel.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an ION product, or just have pre-sales questions, the experienced ION technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.