ION Audio Tailgater Plus - Frequently Asked Questions
The ION Audio Tailgater Plus is a rugged, rechargeable speaker that streams your favorite music from any Bluetooth® device and pumps out great sound through its rugged 2-way speaker system powered by a 50-watt dynamic power amplifier. This guide answers some common questions about the ION Audio Tailgater Plus.
- What is included?
- What is Bass Boost? How would I know when it is activated?
- Can I play music through the USB port?
- How do I connect my Bluetooth device to the Tailgater Plus?
- My Bluetooth device won't connect. What should I do?
- What is Easy-Pairing or NFC, and how do I use it?
- Is my device Easy Pair capable?
- Is the battery user-replaceable?
- How long will a full charge on the battery last?
- What can I do to prolong my battery life?
- I'm experiencing poor AM reception. How can I improve it?
- My speaker sounds distorted. What do I do?
- There is a high-pitch whistling noise when using a microphone. What do I do?
- I can't hear the microphone over the volume of the music. What do I do?
- I can hear the AUX input while I'm listening to the radio. Is this normal?
- Further Technical Support
- Tailgater Plus speaker
- Microphone with cable
- Power/Charging cable
- Quickstart Guide
- Safety and Warranty Manual
The Bass Boost will enhance the overall bass frequency response from your Tailgater Plus when the button is pressed. On the display screen, it will show BASS BOOST when activated.
The USB port will charge a USB device when connected and the speaker is powered on. It will not play music from a flash drive or USB audio device.
- Turn on your Bluetooth device.
- Power on Tailgater Plus. If you have previously connected to another Bluetooth device, Tailgater Plus will reconnect. To disconnect pairing if the Bluetooth icon is lit solid, press and release the Bluetooth button.
- Navigate to your Bluetooth device's setup screen, find Tailgater Plus and connect. Note: If your Bluetooth device prompts for a pairing code, enter 0000.
- To disconnect pairing while the Bluetooth icon is lit solid, press and release the Bluetooth button.
- To connect to another Bluetooth device, repeat step 3.
In your device's Bluetooth settings, select the Tailgater Plus and choose "Forget Device". After your device "forgets" the Tailgater Plus it should be able to reconnect.
Easy Pair is a form of NFC tap pairing, otherwise known as 'bump pairing'. NFC stands for Near-field Communication and is the power behind the technology used in the ION Audio Explorer Outback. More information on what Near-field Communication is can be found here and here.
Basically, NFC allows a device, usually a mobile phone, to collect data from another device or NFC tag at when it is moved into a close range. In many ways, it’s like a contactless payment card that is integrated into a phone. In other ways, it’s similar to Bluetooth, except that instead of programming two devices to work together, they can simply touch to establish a connection.
Many popular Android smartphones have this feature. To date, there is no iOS device that has this feature. You may need to refer to your device information, manual, or support to determine if your device is NFC-capable, however here are a couple of links that may help to determine if your device has this functionality:
Yes! The battery on your speaker is user replaceable and easy to replace! Check out the guide below for a walkthrough on replacing the battery in your ION speaker.
The ION Audio Tailgater Plus will last up to 50 hours on a full charge.
Rechargeable lead-acid batteries are the same type used in automobiles. As with your car battery, how you use this battery has a significant impact on its lifespan. For example, if you forget to turn off your car's lights and drain the battery, a jump start may work a few times. But after a few full discharges, even a jump won't help, and the battery will need to be replaced. With proper use and treatment, a lead-acid battery can last for years. Here are some recommendations for getting the longest life from the internal battery.
Tips for using your battery
- Fully charge the battery before and after using it.
- For maximum life, drain the battery 80% once a month.
- Charge the battery completely after each use.
- Avoid completely draining the battery.
Tips for storing your battery
- Avoid storing in high temperatures and moist places.
- For long-term storage, periodically recharge the battery.
- If you do not charge the battery for six months, it may not permanently lose capacity and will no longer hold a charge.
- In cold and snowy climates, we recommend placing your batteries in an insulated battery box or enclosure for protection from temperature extremes.
If you're experiencing poor AM radio reception, unplug Tailgater Plus from the wall. Running off battery power typically increases clarity of AM signals.
If the sound of your Tailgater Plus is coming out distorted, try lowering the volume control of your sound sources - such as your iPod, iPhone, or Android device. About 75% volume will you give you the best signal quality.
If you continue to experience sound issues after following the steps suggested above, you may want to contact ION Technical Support.
This is probably feedback. Be sure to point the microphone away from the speaker, or stand behind the speaker with the mic.
This is likely caused by the audio source. Turn down the volume on the audio source itself and you should be able to hear the microphone just fine.
This is completely normal. When you use the SOURCE button to switch the radio on and off, make sure that you stop or unplug your AUX source. If you do not stop the playback of your AUX source, it will continue to play over the radio.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a ION product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced ION technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.